Sunday, July 27, 2008

Omedetou

I was a little bit concerned when I decided to stay spring term at BYU this year, because I thought that I wouldn't like going to school for ten months straight, and then only having two months off before starting school again. I do like having less to do in some respects, and I love spending time with my family, but I feel a bit frustrated because I'm not working, and I'm not taking classes so I feel rather useless with my time. Right now I am a teacher in Primary (the children's program at church), and my class is the six-year olds. They're adorable, but they are a lot to handle. I now know one very important quality in parenting: patience! There are multiple ways to manage your kids, but I think it takes patience to do the best thing for them, and not force them to do something because you want it, and not giving in because it is convienent.

I'm really looking forward to my coursework in the fall semester because I am taking a class called "Cognitive Development". It sounds impressive, but cognitive development is studying how we think. I've always been interested in the little sections about cognition in my other major classes, and my professor is one I've had before; it was taking his class that convinced me to do a MFHD minor (changing it to a major came later, but that was for a number of reasons).

Sometimes I think that when you don't expect things to change that everything does, and when you expect things to change very little does. I wonder why that is?

Those who know me know that I love Japan. I love cherry blossom trees, I love japanese anime, I love the language, and their country is very facinating to study. I don't listen to a lot of Jpop (the name for Japanese pop music) but there is one band that I do like, called Ikimono Gakari. I can't buy their CD in America so I mainly watch their videos on You Tube. Recently I discovered a new song of theirs that I love, so I thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8upLulBSQ&feature=related

Even if you don't typically like this kind of thing, please listen. I think it will be different than you expect, and even if you don't like it, broaden your horizon!

*the title is Japanese for "best wishes".

2 comments:

Jeniakai said...

I think there's a reason we can't normally have multiple children all at the same time.

Amy said...

I totally get what you mean about Primary! Yesterday, I had turned my back for literally two seconds to write on the chalkboard, and all the girls in my class erupted into giggles--our only boy had stuck his head through the back of a chair! It was five minutes before we got him out, and by that time I'd already sent for the Primary President. It actually made my day, and pulled me out of that 'if you don't sit down and zip your lips this instant, I'm going to go get your mother' mood I was in. And I have the 8-9 year olds!

Oh, and this music is really good!...not that I'm biased towards Japanese stuff...